It was my daughter’s 7th birthday in August and she received some really lovely gifts, including a Decoupage Made Easy Kit. It was a great gift for her as, when she was younger she loved doing mosaics and sticker work and this kit is all about sticking.
Inside the box there’s:
- a paper-mache owl that’s about the same size as an adult’s outstretched hand
- 176 pre-cut stickers in 8 fun patterns
- glitter decoupage glue
- a foam craft brush
- 2 sticker eyes and one nose sticker
- Detailed instructions
It’s recommended for children aged 6+. My (just turned) 7 year old found it easy and enjoyable to do and she didn’t need any help (bonus for me!).
The idea is that you just peel off the stickers and stick them onto the paper-mache owl. You can choose to put them on randomly or in a pattern/design. This took my daughter about 40 minutes to do.
Once all the white of the owl is covered in stickers, it’s time to paint it with the glitter decoupage glue. I should mention that there were plenty of stickers to cover the owl and even some left over.
Once the glue has dried, all that is needed is to stick on the eyes and nose and you have a really pretty owl.
What We Liked:
- It really was easy to do. My daughter was able to do it on her own
- 2 months later and all the stickers are still stuck to the paper mache and it looks as good as it did when she first did it.
- That there was enough stickers and glue without having to scrimp.
- It’s a great introduction to decoupage for children
What We Didn’t Like:
- I’m finding it hard to think of something that I didn’t like about this kit but it’s really hard. I guess it’s more to do with my personality than the product. I like crafts that can be done over and over again and I hate clutter. This is a ‘do it and it’s done’ kit and now I have an extra ornament in the playroom to sit beside lots of other projects my girls have done. There’s virtually no play value to it once it’s done, apart from showing it off to everyone who comes to our house!!
If you think you’d like to buy one of these Melissa and Doug Decoupage Made Easy Kits, I stock them here. They cost €14.50.