Setting up shop can be great fun for small children to play. Older children can practice their sums by placing a value on the items being sold and learning what change is needed. If this is something you think your kids would enjoy, here’s 9 fun items that would make playing shop great fun.
- A play cash register. This wooden cash register is just back in stock. It comes with a barcode scanner and a credit card machine. It also comes with some play money.
- If you want money that looks just like ours, then my euro play money is what you need. It will help children recognise notes and coins and hopefully, over time, they will learn the value of it!
- Your child can sell lots of different things in their shop, depending on what they have at home. My kids always loved serving food and drink when they played shops, so here are some of the food items that I stock. The wooden pizza is a great selling toy and the toppings are interchangeable so they can be made to order!
- If it’s a coffee shop, your child will need a tea set. This wooden one that I stock has also just came back in stock. It comes with a teapot, cups, tea bags, biscuits, a plate, spoons, a milk jug and a sugar bowl.
- Cake always goes down well too and I just love this Melissa and Doug Triple Layer Cake that can be sliced into manageable pieces for customers to enjoy.
- It’s good to have some groceries in your shop. Many of these can come directly from your food cupboard – like tins of beans and pasta but other items might be a bit risky to supply, like eggs. This egg box looks like the real thing, as do the eggs inside. However, they are made of wood and can be cracked open and made whole again.
- Ice-creams are also great for warm weather. This set comes with 2 wooden ice-creams. The cones can be separated from the ice-cream by velcro.
- My kids love going to our local butcher as he gives lollies to the kids! Maybe your children will want to be generous to their customers too by giving out wooden lollypops. The great thing about these lollies is that they won’t rot your teeth or spoil your appetite!
- Shops don’t have to be traditional in your child’s mind. Perhaps they want to set up a maintenance shop. If so, they’ll need some good tools and a tool belt. Or a beauticians or hair salon would need a vanity set. Whatever it is, these are just tools to help them enter into a completely different world.
- Finally, let’s not rule out an online shop. If that’s what your child wants to play, then they’ll need their own computer and phone. This wooden one is just what they’ll need. The screen doubles as a magnetic blackboard and the keys are magnetic too, so they can be placed on the screen.
I’m always adding new stock to my imaginary play range so keep an eye here, if you haven’t spotted what you want!